"... To make your
- John Ruskin (1819-00)
August 1, 2020, this
website served as a repository for various images from our days at
John Ruskin Central, Grammar and High Schools, and a
place to share personal memories from its 100-year era.
Our school started life on the 12th of January, 1920, at Scarbrook Road, Croydon, as John Ruskin Boys' Central School, before moving in 1935 to Tamworth Road, where it achieved Grammar School status in April 1945. (Reportedly, the Scarbrook Road site was near a house in Market Street that was occupied by John Ruskin's Croydon relatives, The Richardsons.)
The first principal teacher was William Field MA, followed in 1934 by Arthur William McLeod MA. Mr. Field died in February 1938, and Mr. McLeod in July 1956, at the age of 71. The 36-year-old John Christopher Lowe MA, who took over as headmaster of the newly upgraded John Ruskin Grammar School from Mr. McLeod in 1946, spent 27 years at the school until his retirement in 1973, and was replaced by William Patterson. Mr. Lowe also built up a small collection of newspaper cuttings, photographs, books and pamphlets by and about John Ruskin.
In January 1955 John Ruskin Grammar School for Boys moved to a new site on Upper Shirley Road, Shirley, several miles south east of Croydon, which location featured an elegant windmill in the grounds between the main school buildings and a sports area.
During 1971 the school was renamed John Ruskin High School - instead of a three-form entry at 11, the school offered four forms for boys and girls aged 14, the latter transferring from Shirley High School - eventually to became a 14-18 Co-Educational Comprehensive School. Anne Smith, who had joined the school from Selhurst Grammar School for Girls in 1970, and was a long time English Teacher at JRHS, became principal in 1990.
Sadly, in 1991 the school was demolished to make way for a new housing development, the upper forms relocating to a Sixth Form College in Selsdon, the former home of John Newnham Secondary School. Today John Ruskin College is a Skills for Life College, with courses that lead to BTEC (Business & Technology Education Council) qualifications in a variety of vocational subjects. In February 2019 it merged with East Surrey College, a further-education college based in Redhill, Surrey.
>> ARCHIVED CONTRIBUTIONS ... Alumni memories, recollections and images <<
There are no formal membership requirements for the JRGS Alumni Society; anybody connected to the school is welcome to contribute to The Mill website and hence become part of our Society.
The content of this web site is protected by United Kingdom and other copyright law. Unauthorized commercial use of the contents of this web site may violate copyright, trademark and other laws.